0203 633 4923

Guide to getting married in Mexico

Legal documents required for two British nationals:

Status Document(s) What's needed


Full Birth Certificate

The original document must be translated into Spanish and the translation certified before a Notary Public; then both the original and the notary certificate need to be legalised by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.


Full Birth Certificate + Divorce Decree Absolute

The original documents must be translated into Spanish and the translations certified before a Notary Public; then both the originals and the notary certificate need to be legalised by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.


Full Birth Certificate + Previous Marriage Certificate + Death Certificate

As above


Full Birth Certificate + Adoption Certificate

As above

Changed name by Deed Poll

Full Birth Certificate + Change of Name Deed Poll

As above

Important customer notice

  • There is no expiry date of documents for Mexico.
  • Requirements for particular hotels/regions in Mexico often differ or change from the national guidelines. We strongly recommend that you obtain final confirmation of your documentation requirements from your hotel wedding coordinator.

UK National marrying a Mexican National:

Same documentation as above applies for the UK national.

Terms explained:

A Notary Public is a solicitor who holds an internationally recognised public office. Their job is to prepare, attest, authenticate and certify documents (e.g. translations), for use anywhere in the world.

Legalisation is the official confirmation that a signature, seal or stamp on a document is genuine.


  • All documents must be originals.
  • The translations need to be performed by a qualified (ideally Sworn) Spanish translator.
  • All translations need to be notarised (1 notary certificate for all translated documents).
  • Originals and notary certificate then need to be legalised at the Foreign & Commonwealth Office.
  • For non-business customers this has to be done via post.
  • The FCO legalisation fee is £30 per document.
  • Personal cheques are not accepted, so please enclose a Postal Order payable to the Foreign & Commonwealth Office.
  • Enclose a stamped self addressed envelope.
  • For sending and the return of the documents it is recommended Special Delivery is used.
  • Postal orders or bankers draft should be enclosed as personal cheques are not accepted.
  • It is recommended the special delivery is used for both the sending and return of documents (to ensure safe passage).


TLC UK provides a full personal and professional translation and legalisation service for all your legal document requirements. Prices are available upon request. For further information or to contact TLC UK direct, please visit them at www.tlcuk.biz.

This information is supplied by The Translation & Legalisation Company UK (TLC UK) and is based on the national guidelines issued by the Mexican Embassy in London.
The information contained in this guide is correct as of 24th October 2012.