0203 633 4923

pdficon large Changes to giving notice of marriage

Download Requires Adobe Reader

Certificate of No Impediment
when Marrying Abroad

If you and your partner are considering getting married abroad and have done a bit of research, you have probably come across this type of legal document.

At TLC UK we know how stressful planning a wedding abroad can be, especially when you start looking into the Legal Documents and Requirements, so here is some information that might help you.

What is a Certificate of No Impediment to marry?

In short, a Certificate of No Impediment to marry is a legal document that proves that you are free to marry and that nothing prevents you from entering into your intended marriage. It will state some of your personal details, your intention to marry in the country in question and a confirmation that you are not married or that any previous marriage has been validly dissolved.

In countries such as Dominican Republic and Greece, the authorities will surely request a Certificate of No Impediment, a Statutory Declaration of Single Status or an Affidavit of Intended Marriage per person before your wedding can take place.

Although all of the above names refer to the same legal requirement, each country may ask for additional details to be mentioned such as your religion, your place of residence for the last 2 years or your parents’ names.

If you are marrying a foreigner in their country of birth, this legal document may be a must too! – This is the case for Cuba, for example.

How do I get a Certificate of No Impediment?

For some countries, such as Greece and Cuba (if you are marrying a Cuban), the authorities usually require the Certificate of No Impediment to be issued by your local registrar.

For weddings in Dominican Republic, you will need your Statutory Declarations (another form of Certificate of No Impediment) issued, signed and stamped by any solicitor or Notary Public in the UK. In this case, both you and your partner need to attend their offices in person.

If you live abroad and need to obtain this important document from any UK registry office, then the British Embassy or Consulate of the country where you live will be able to help you.

What do I do once I have my Certificate of No Impediment?

As with any other legal document intended for a wedding abroad, your Certificate of No Impediment will need to be legalised and translated (if you are marrying in a non-English speaking country) so that your marriage is valid and your Marriage Certificate can be issued.

Not only do the required legal documents vary from country to country, region to region and (even) hotel to hotel, but also the process itself for translating and legalising them changes.

The country product specialists and certified translators at TLC UK deal with this process every day – from the translation and certification of your legal documents to their legalisation at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and the relevant embassies or consulates.

So once you have your Certificate of No Impediment to marry, why not ask TLC UK to deal with the rest?

For further information about our services and a quotation, contact us now.

'Thank you so much for all of your help and guidance and for returning the documents so quickly. A truly wonderful service. With very many thanks once again. I am truly appreciative.'

said Sarah Browne