0203 633 4923

Documents required for two British nationals getting married in Germany

Single Full Birth Certificate
Divorced Full Birth Certificate + Decree Absolute
Widow/er Full Birth Certificate + Death Certificate
Adopted Full Birth Certificate + Adoption Certificate
Changed name by Deed Poll Full Birth Certificate + Change of Name Deed Poll

Special requirements of note:

According to the registry offices in Dusseldorf, Munich & Hannover, usually the documents do not have to be legalised at the FCO. However, this may be different for other places in Germany.

If you are a British citizen intending to marry in Germany it is unlikely that you will be asked by the local registry office (Standesamt) to obtain a certificate of no impediment (CNI) for presentation. Please check with the British mission responsible for the area you reside in, or with the British mission responsible for the area you wish to get married in, if not your place of residence, or with the responsible Standesamt.

In the unlikely event that you do need a CNI you will have to swear or affirm an affidavit or affirmation in front of a Consular Officer. There is a fee payable for this service (see consular fees). You are advised to contact the British mission responsible for the consular district you reside in to obtain further advice, and, if applicable, to arrange an appointment for giving notice of marriage.

Should the marriage take place outside the consular district, the notice of marriage, once it has hung on the notice board for 21 clear days, has to be sent to the Consul responsible for the district you wish to get married in.

For further information or a free no obligation quote, please contact TLC UK.

Price illustration:

Based on two UK nationals marrying in Germany who have not been married before, neither of which have changed their names or been adopted and would need their legal documents both translated and legalised (full service) the price is £310 + VAT.